All The Best is made up of paid, volunteer and half-and-half roles.
We always welcome volunteers who would like to be involved in editing, mixing, recording, design, social media and more. Get in touch with Phoebe at email@example.com.
We’re also currently recruiting for two key roles. If you’re interested in starting or developing your career in audio, find further details below:
Editorial Producer Role
The Editorial Producer (EP) is responsible for supporting the creative production of the weekly half hour show for broadcast (locally and nationally) and podcast. The EP will work in collaboration with the Executive Producer and the national Editorial Team.
This is an exciting and rare opening for an ambitious candidate, with a passion in narrative driven audio stories. This is a strong and rewarding opportunity to gain experience in management and editorial skills — on an Australian show with a valued reputation.
While this is a remunerated role, as we work at a community radio network with volunteers who give their time to the show, there will be opportunities where you can seek funding or choose to volunteer your time to give back through events and mentorship.
- Oversee the production of original stories with the EP.
- Provide editorial oversight of the program.
- Identify episode themes and source stories from content partners and ATB archive to
combine under a theme with original stories in production.
- Edit stories down to correct length in time for episode delivery.
- Identify ethical issues throughout the production process and before broadcast including
necessary content warnings.
- Weekly meet with EP, contributing to editorial and creative decisions around the
programme of content.
- Manage relationships with existing content partners.
- Review and agree jointly with the Executive Producer on selection of stories for production from call outs (2x / year)
- Match storymakers with SPs.
- Attend monthly Team Strategy Meetings with All The Best Volunteers (45 mins / month).
- Attend quarterly SP Meets (1 hr / 4x year).
- Where possible, attend ATB workshops / events to stay involved with the community.
- Contribute to grant applications, help to shape editorial direction for program.
- Search for and Identify grant opportunities in your state or region.
- Actively search for and listen to audio stories to remain engaged in the Australian audio landscape and provide ideas for the development of All The Best. Identify new opportunities for content partnerships in your state or region.
1 – Communication and Organisation
2 – Ethical sense / Basic Journalism or News Sense (desirable)
3 – Basic Audio Editing Skills
4 – Passion for storytelling / educating audio story makers and creatives
5 – Networking skills / Relationships with other partners and audio makers
6 – Ability to voice their own opinion / concerns / ideas
7 – Candidate can be based anywhere in Australia (we encourage outside of Sydney applicants).
12 hours / week (40 weeks of the year)
$45/hr + 11% super + 1% workers compensation for the duration of the contract. Desired hand-over and start for this role is November 2023.
To apply please send your resume and a cover letter addressing the above criteria to em@allthebestradio by 5pm Monday October 9th.
SP Call Out 2023
All The Best is community radio’s flagship national storytelling program. We train emerging storytellers in the craft of audio documentaries, essays, fiction and poetry. All The Best is made at FBi Radio in Sydney with support from the Art Gallery of NSW and Community Broadcasting Foundation.
The Supervising Producer role involves mentoring new All The Best contributors throughout the story making process. You will listen to and help refine their pitches, check their paper and audio drafts, and report back to the Editorial Manager about the production timeline and any problems you foresee with the story.
Renumeration: Please note this is a part-voluntary and part-paid position. All The Best is funded through grants as a not-for-profit community radio program. Supervising Producers will receive $200 honorarium per story. We will be understanding about your other commitments and endeavor to work around your schedule as much as possible.
Location: This position is fully online and you are welcome to apply from anywhere.
● Supervise the production of stories as allocated by the Editorial Manager.
● Maintain the editorial standards of All The Best.
● Attend editorial meetings and pitch meetings.
● Update your availability in the SP spreadsheet regularly.
● Passion for the style and voice of All The Best and an alignment of values.
● Experience in production and narrative audio.
● Ability to communicate confidently with contributors and All The Best editorial team.
Even if you feel you only meet some of the selection criteria we’d still love to hear from you!
To apply: Please send your resume and a cover letter addressing the above criteria to em@allthebestradio by 5pm Friday September 29.