All the Best has stories to make your skin crawl. Haunted house? Tick. Haunted e-mail address? Tick. Haunted dreams? Tick. And the creepiest part of all: Halloween costumes, for pets (where else but America). This week’s show is sure to leave you spooked.
My Haunted House
When Madeleine Rebbechi moved into her share house in Brunswick, Melbourne six months ago, she immediately sensed that something wasn’t quite right. And things have only been getting stranger. Mysterious visitors show up. Her landlord acts like he has something to hide. And down the end of their garden, there’s a locked bungalow filled with secrets. It was only a matter of time before Madeleine decided to investigate.
Produced by Madeleine Rebbechi.
My Haunted Email
A.H. Cayley’s email address is haunted. Not by a ghost, or a spirit, but by something far more terrifying: A past love.
Produced by Heidi Pett.
Music credit: ‘Stadt Land Fluss’ by Hinterlandt.
Read more of A.H. Cayley’s work here.
My Haunted Dreams
As a baby, Max Lavergne suffered from night terrors, and nothing much has changed: He still endures traumatising dreams on a regular basis. At least the violence and horrors of his nightmares make for a good story.
Recorded by Kate Ryan at Confession Booth.
Read more of Max Levergne’s work here.
Little Pet Shop of Horrors
All the Best did its best to steer clear of the blatant commercialism of an American-style Halloween. But when we heard that contributor Mike Williams was in the U.S. just as we were putting this show together, we couldn’t help ourselves. So you thought the cheesy horror movies, the trick or treating and the outlandish costumes for kids were bad? Just wait till people start involving their pets.
Halloween costumes on display at the Cheeko-B pet boutique, with staff member Stephanie.
Produced by Mike Williams.
Music credit: Sez (Ming Ming) / CC BY-NC-ND 3.0
Presenter: Georgia Moodie
Features Executive Producer: Belinda Lopez
Executive Producers: Giordana Caputo, Eliza Sarlos, Jesse Cox.
Picture credit: ‘Halloween with Ringo‘ by Brittany Randolph.
Podcast: Play in new window
A collection of stories taken from live events recorded for All the Best.
1. Sarah Rodigari is an artist who has exhibited in Australia and Internationally. Recently she decided to hitch hike from Melbourne to Sydney and this story comes from towards the end of the trip when she had an interaction with a stranger on a highway in the pouring rain. It was performed as part of Acts of Kindness and Other Stories and recorded by Kate Ryan.
2. Johnny Marigliano is an actor who grew up in Brooklyn. In this story he tells of a moment in his life whe – as he introduces it, his story is one of pizza, shylocks and crime. It was performed and recorded as part of one of Campfire Collective’s storytelling evenings.
3. Anique Vered is an arts worker and artist and is currenly managing the Rocks Pop Up project. She recently returned to Sydney after working in communities in Australia, Indonesia, Thailand, Germany and Israel for the past 2 years. This story comes from her last destination, a kibbutz in the Negrev desert and about her job as the communities goat herder.
4. Mike Williams is a radio producer and founder of In the Dark, Sydney. In this story he remembers his very first Conception Day at Macquarie Uni. Mike had been looking forward to the day for ages, but when it finally came around, things didn’t quite go to plan.
5. Que is a radio producer and film editor. A few years ago she was down the south coast with a bunch of friends, when they heard a loud screetch out the front of their house. A car full of kids had smashed into a bus load of senior citizens. Que and her friends mounted a resuce operation that turned into something a little out of the ordinary.
The last 3 stories were performed at a recent Story Slam at The Paper Mill gallery. All The Best has been in residence at the gallery working on a new show, to be performed live this Tuesday from 7.30pm. Presented in association with In the Dark, FBi radio, 2ser and Radio National. For a preview of the event read this article by Mike Williams. All the event details can be found here.
Guest Presenter: Jesse Cox
Live Content Producer: Kate Ryan
Executive Producers: Jesse Cox, Brigitte Dagg, Eliza Sarlos